Here are some ‘handy hints’ on how to better care for your candle - it’s so simple!
Follow these 5 hints to make the most of your candles.
1. Always keep the wick at a maximum 1cm before lighting your candle. Your candle will burn longer with a shorter wick and oozing is prevented.
2. Put out your candle by dipping the wick into its liquid wax. This way you will avoid ooze and the candle will be much easier to light the next time you use it.
3. Candles with a diameter of 8.5 cm and more need to be trimmed. This means that you should either press the edge gently inward to the flame or cut the edge off. Both should be done within a few minutes after the candle has been put out and while the wax is still soft.
A 10.5 cm candle you can let burn without trimming – this will then create a neat lantern-like feel. However, in doing this the flame will eventually begin to flutter as it will lack oxygen the further down it burns. This can be minimised by cutting a few decorative holes in the wall of the candle next to the wick.
4. Never leave your candle in a drafty area (window ceiling with old windows, above a heater, close to a vent or fan, in open door/hallways etc.) – this will make the candle run, burn more to one side, or both.
5. Never use an outdoor candle inside. If you do so you will risk oozing which will settle in furniture and carpets.
Outdoor candles should also NOT be used in lanterns – even if placed outside – as these are considered indoor and enclosed areas. Use an indoor candle instead! Outdoor candles should only be used in the free open outdoor spaces.